Have you ever thought about how your friends view mental health?
Luckily, many of my friends like myself, are psychology majors or have some type of back ground related to psychology. However, I do have a few that are less familiar with the topic, this post is for them.
I am not poking fun or calling you out, because you are ignorant to the topic, but I do want to spread my knowledge on the subject, being that so many people suffer from mental illness related issues.
Listed below are 10 things I want my friends who are not educated on mental illness to know:
- Different people experience different things. There is no one size fits all mold when it comes to mental illness.
- Talking about mental illness/ mental health is not weird.
- Mental illnesses are not just figments of someone’s imagination.
- Medications are not the only way to help someone cope with mental illness.
- Some people need to be medicated, and that too is okay.
- No, you can’t “catch” mental illness.
- Mental health is just as important as physical health.
- Mental health and mental illness is not restricted to one race or gender.
- You cannot heal overnight, things take time.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions, do your research.
Hopefully, this post will help you see the world in a different light. Maybe it will inspire you to help someone else, or maybe you will just read it and forget about it.
Keep On, Keeping On.
Clemson University, BS Psychology ’18
Case Management Intern
Destination Greatness, PLLC
About Destination Greatness
Destination Greatness is a mental health and substance abuse psychotherapy agency dedicated to assisting individuals and families in maximizing their level of functioning on all life domains in pursuit of Greatness. Destination Greatness provide individuals and families with the opportunity to live more fulfilling and meaningful lives. Destination Greatness strives to enrich each individual and family through greater self-awareness, focus on strengths, and belief in a greater destiny.